Upper back pain


I have severe pain in my upper back which is stopping me doing anything, is not relieved by paracetamol and is keeping me awake. What should I do?


This description could include pain from the neck or the thoracic spine, but might be coming from other internal structures or blood vessels. It is, however, wise to see your doctor or a registered physiotherapist to give you the best advice and treatment and to exclude any more serious causes for the pain.

You can use paracetamol and ibuprofen in full dose at the same time (as long as you are normally OK with them) and do remember not to take ibuprofen on an empty stomach. Your doctor may give you stronger pain killers (analgesics) or anti inflammatory medication, and a therapist might well use physical therapies to ease the pain and speed recovery.